“Another fresh new year is here. Another year to live! To banish worry, doubt, and fear, To love and laugh and give! This bright New Year is given me. To live each day with zest. To daily grow and try to be. My highest and my best! I have the opportunity. Once more to right some wrongs. To pray for peace, to plant a tree. And sing more joyful songs” – William Arthur Ward
To all 65 million + family caregivers, we wish you a healthy & happy new year. As we start 2013, let it be a time to truly reflect on all you’ve accomplished, your strength, heroic ventures, unwavering roles, demanding chores and tedious schedules. Let it also be a time to review your missteps, ways to reinvent yourself and what you can do better your life especially your health – physically, spiritually, and mentally. Be open to new ideas, possibilities and welcome what’s in store for you in 2013. Remember, you are valuable, wonderful, worthwhile, lovable and strong. We employ you to use these buzz words this year: “I can” and I will”. Take away the “maybes.” No resolutions this year, only actionable intention.
Now, we ask that you repeat the following: I PROMISE
- To take care of myself more, mentally, physically and spiritually. It will make me a better caregiver.
- To communicate my caregivng journey more often and share caregiving role with other family members, siblings – near and far, guilt free
- To learn to seek, ask and accept HELP guilt free in order to avoid illness, stress and burnout.
- To educate myself and improve my knowledge about my care receiver, loved ones disease state, medications by asking my healthcare providers (physicians, nurses, pharmacists, social workers, etc) as many questions as possible. Not sure what to ask about medications, get them here.
- To seek support groups, locally online and offline.
- To appreciate life more and find humor & laughter in all situations. Laughter, like they say is the best medicine.
According to Hannah Browns, “Today is the first blank page of a 365 page book, Write a good one.”
Take the challenge! Will you keep one or all these promises to yourself in 2012? Connect with us and share your self promises for 2013.
If you'd like to write an actionable health care tip, patient and medication safety post for CareNovate Magazine or Coachcafee.com, then check out our Contribute page for details. We'd love to share caregiver's & patient's experiences with our community.
Latest posts by Dr Goldina Erowele (see all)
- Let Food Be Thy Medicine – Food As Medicine Blog Series - September 15
- Why Health Care Professionals Need Social Media Training Program? - September 7
- What To Ask Before Taking Any Medication - April 19