5 Ways to be a Healthier & Less Stressed Caregiver
- Learn about care recipients disease & medications – the more a caregiver knows, the better caregiver they will become in managing issues that arises.Websites such as National Cancer Institute and American Cancer Society are government website and offers so much information, particularly for Caregiver. Another aspect is learning medication management strategies. This is where having a close relationship with the pharmacist and physician is critical.
- Staying organized – As a caregiver, one needs to be organized. Make a list, use Google calender, task, get a note book or calender. To do lists should include: doctors appointment, medication list, contact list, family members phone numbers this is very critical
- Taking care of you – A tired and stressed out caregiver is not only detrimental to themselves but to their care recipient and/or loved one. Simple things like walking/yoga is calming and healthy for any caregiver, taking mini breaks and talking with a friend for 10 minutes can do wonders, writing a journal is wonderful and freeing for those who enjoy writing. This helps prevent burnout, stress and health related issues. Making sure caregiver have their personal care plan is great – this should include their own doctors appointment, plan for respite care and personal time.
- Local or community support groups – American Cancer Society & National Cancer Institute has so many resources and information on support groups, websites. WhatNext, Lotsahelpinghand.com, local administration on aging (AOA) are great. Check them out.
- Asking for help – Caregivers tend to want to do it all, provide all caring and feel guilty to ask for help. Sometimes, they forget that they are human beings – for family caregivers, communication with family members is quite imperative. Sometime, caregivers are not aware of some of the points mentioned in #4. Churches and local volunteer organizations are available to help with transportation, meals, hourly respite relief.
How do you maintain a healthy caregiving lifestyle? Find these tips helpful? Please share with others.
CareNovate Team Contritbutor
Latest posts by CareNovate Team Contritbutor (see all)
Pharmacist Recommended Tools To Help Fix How Patients Take Their Medications
Can an app, technology tools fix how patients adhere to their medication regimen as prescribedRead More
Healthy Infrastructure – A Patient Care Case for Telemedicine
Guest Author – James Hinton Today Don is having a routine surgery. It’s a quickRead More